Social Listening - Week Two

Pringles.

The only chip company that doesn't sell 95% of air and 5% of chip.

The value Proposition for this company is all about the packaging. The pringles packaging is a light weight, a great on-the-go container, and was mainly designed for minimal crushed chips. As Joshua Engel describes, "They're designed to be stacked. Stacking is great, because it means that they support each other during shipping." and later goes on to explain that "Pringles cans are stiff, and since they're packed, dense. That means you can cram more product into less space, saving shipping costs."

And for me as a consumer, I love the fact that Pringles are cheap, light weight, and as I refer back to my second sentence, there is more food than there is air.

When it comes to taste, who doesn't love the taste of vinegar, bbq, and or jalapeƱo? The Pringles Company has over 101 flavors throughout the world and the classic original as well as the Cheese and Onion being a couple of my favorites. Even from their very first Super Bowl commercial, Pringles wants you to think their chips all taste differently, even though they don't..

Super Bowl Commercials, 2018:




Although Pringles are great, some people aren't too keen on them. Especially their packaging. According to the Recycling Association, Pringle Tubes are one of the top things that are considered "villains" in the recycling world and that they pose the "the biggest challenge to reuse" as the multiple put together container is a "nightmare."(BBC News, Rodger Harrabin, May 19th, 2017)


The fact that the recycling industry isn't a fan of Pringles packaging, I'm still a fan of their flavors and a fan of the fact that their packaging is very unique compared to others and will definitely continue buying their brand.

Pringles are trying to sell the idea of being known. What do you automatically think of when hearing the words Pringles? You automatically think of the can, you think of the distinct shape of the chip and how it's curved. You think of the fact that you can automatically pick out the can so quickly if trying to find it on the shelf with all the other chips because it is so unique.

If I were the brand manager to this company, responding to customers, I'd thank them. I'd definitely try my best to find a better way to make sure we could get off the list for being one of the "villains" in the recycling industry. But, I definitely would not get rid of the packaging only because as a consumer myself, once again, I'm obsessed with the fact that there is more product than there is air.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Disney

My first Marketing Assignment